Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Minute To Win It Birthday Party Treats

So sorry I haven't been able to post for the past couple of weeks, but things have been a little crazy here at the little yellow cottage.  First, we switched cable/internet service and I had some issues getting everything straightened out - technically challenged you know.  Then, we traveled to Big D to help out our daughter while she made a trip to NYC to film a segment of 60 minutes.  We watched our grand children while her husband worked and she was away.  Needless to say, Grandma and Pawpaw had a great time.   There were root beer floats (our grandsons say Grandma has the best recipe - lol) and lots of games and shopping trips and so many memories made.  

We stayed for the second week to help with our grandson's "Minute To Win It" birthday party which we wouldn't have missed for anything!  He chose the theme because it is his favorite television show and it's a perfect choice for kids to play challenging games using household items with only one minute to complete each challenge!  The kids played the games over and over and it was an absolute hit.  I will post later about how to do a party with this theme.  It is inexpensive because you can use items you have around the house and we didn't have to purchase very many things at all.   It's so much fun that even a lot of the parents participated!  Then, we ended the party with a huge water balloon fight.  Oh yes, it was a rousing success!

H's favorite color is blue and he wanted chocolate cupcakes instead of a cake.  So, I used regular chocolate cake mix and made blue butter cream icing.  The dilemma was what to decorate the cupcakes with.  Well, daughter and I were driving to the store and it popped into my head what I could do.  I LOVE when that happens.

H's favorite game is one where you hold a popsicle stick in your mouth and try to stack 5 dice and then  keep them there for 3 seconds before the minute it up.  (It's not as easy as you think it would be)  Here was my idea:  sugar cubes decorated like dice using black icing!  They were adorable!  Here is what I used and how they looked up close.


I made 4 dozen cupcakes so I needed 96 dice to have a pair for each cupcake.  We bought one box of sugar cubes which was more than enough for this project.

We purchased one tube of Wilton's black sparkle gel icing for making the dots on the dice.  This was purchased at Wal-Mart.

I lined the sugar cubes up in rows on a baking sheet to keep from getting icing on the table.  I started by making one dot in the middle of all the cubes with the black gel icing.  Then, I held each cube by the corners and made two, three, four and five dots on each cube.  I had a pair of dice on the table to look at so I did not make a mistake on the way they should look.  They sat for a couple of hours to let the icing dry.  There was no need to make a six on the dice because the bottom of the cube sat on top of the cupcake.  This was a really easy process and didn't take a lot of time.   Also, the decorations were edible!

This is a simple idea that could be used to decorate lots of things.  It is quick, easy and inexpensive -- all of my favorite words!  

We had a wonderful two weeks with lots of awesome experiences and memories made that I will be writing about.  I am glad to be back because the projects are stacking up, especially with fall on the way.  Hope there will be things to inspire you along the way!  

Everyday Donna

Things to Remember:

Make memories because no one can take them away!

No comments:

Post a Comment