Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Ocean Beckons

 Perhaps in a former life I was a mermaid, or a fish, or a sea turtle.  Maybe I was a sea captain or lived on the craggy northeastern banks near the ocean.  There is something about the sea that beckons me, calls me, requires me to return just to look at it.  Study it.  Listen to it. It is primal and wild, soft and sultry, gentle and uneasy all at the same time.  The sea awakens emotions from deep within my soul and restores it like nothing else.  The vastness of the waters makes me know there is a universal connection of all things.

This has been a great year for visits to the ocean.  We were fortunate to be able to visit the Atlantic in June and last week we spent time on the Florida Gulf.  The waters contrast in many, many ways as far as temperature and wave action go.  But, they fill me with awesome wonder and appreciation for the beauty this earth possesses.

Our daughter, son in love and two grandsons rented a house in Sea Grove Beach, Florida,  last week and graciously invited us to join them for a week of rest and relaxation.  We did not have to think twice about making the trip.  After all, it was time with family and precious grandsons and The Gulf.  The sugar white beaches are also a major contrast to the hard brown sand of Maine.  Do I have a preference?  No, not really.  Sand, sun, and water are agreeable any time.

We have been to Florida many times, usually for spring break or the hot, hot part of the summer in late July or early August.  July and August are so hot that you must spend your time in the water and you PRAY for a breeze from the Gulf.   Yes, we have even been through a hurricane - Hurricane Erin.  It's okay if that never happens again.

I have to say, October seems to be THE month to spend in Florida for perfect weather.  Beautiful warm days, not the kind where you must be in the water or perish like in early August.  Cool evenings - the kind where you can wear a light sweater or jacket.  The cerulean sky was unbelievable.  I mean look at the color in this picture (it has not been photoshopped)!
This picture was taken from the little balcony off our bedroom about 9 am.  Stunning isn't it?

A friend asked me if we did anything special or were we just slugs.  My reply - S. L. U. G. S. and it was awesome.  I spent most of my time on the porch on the third floor watching the water, loving the feel of the sun on my face, meandering to the kitchen, or down the stairs to the beach.  I fixed breakfasts, lunches and dinners.  I pretended to read a book, but mostly I watched our grandsons in their glory, playing and laughing, singing, dancing, digging in the sand, and being little boys.  Living in the moment.  Loving the sun, sand and water.  Being the perfect little creations that they are.

On Thursday, it rained all day.  That was okay too.  How do you love the sunny days without a little rain?
The waves increased in size, the wind blew, the rain fell in rivers of water, and we could watch it from the covered porch.  I held my book and pretended to read, but I was watching the water.  Always, the water.

Friday was bright and sunny and we spent time on the beach.  The boys have clothes that protect them from the UV rays of the sun and we didn't have to keep slathering them with sun screen.  Where was that when our kids were little?  Incredible.
Our daughter Annie and baby Van under the umbrella.  What a fabulous day.

One of the neighborhood pools was across the street from where we stayed.  The boys loved the water so much.  Gus wore himself out paddling up and down in his swim vest.

My constant view from the third floor porch.  What's not to love?  Really?  I am always glad to get home and return to our daily routine.  We will always have memories of the lovely times spent on the beach with those we love.  And the sea will beckon again, and hopefully we will be able to return.

Everyday Donna

Things to Remember:

This song kept running through my head while I watched the ocean.

For the beauty of the earth,
For the glory of the sky,
For the love which from our birth,
Over and around us lies.

Lord of all to thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.







No comments:

Post a Comment