Monday, December 16, 2013

2013 Christmas Table Setting


 It's Monday once again, the days are flying by and Christmas will soon be here.  We are busy trying to get all of our shopping done, projects completed, plans made for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrations, and still have time to enjoy all the special moments with family and friends.

Our table is simple this year.  I used the beautiful red chargers my friend Don gave me several years ago.  The table runners are humble pieces of burlap that I cut and laid on the table.  The centerpiece is  made in a round silver tray we received as a wedding gift 44 years ago.  I just laid some fresh greens in the tray, along with some pine cones I spray painted gold.  Simple silver ornaments adorn the greens and a dark red candle in the middle is the finishing touch.
I had some gold lame' napkins that I folded and tied with some sisal twine.  It adds to the natural elements used on the table.  I tied a silver ornament onto the twine to make an easy and inexpensive napkin ring.

There is the honesty and earthiness of the burlap runners and the natural greens and pine cones contrasted with the beautiful dark red chargers and gold lame' napkins that creates a beautiful ambiance.  Simple, but elegant.
There is a big chalk board leaning against the wall that Dan and I made for the grandsons to write on when they are here.  I like to put messages on it to go with the season.  
It adds a little whimsy to the dining room.  We'll see how long it lasts before little hands smudge and smear the chalk everywhere.  The good thing about chalk is it's easy to write a new message.
Everything on the table are things that I already had.  It makes a really lovely, simple setting and it didn't cost me anything extra.  I like when that happens.  "Shop" your house before purchasing anything new.  You may have many things that can be used in a new or different way.
Most of the family will  be here on Christmas Day for dinner.  Our daughter's in-loves will also be joining us this year from out of town.  It's going to be a lot of fun.  Now, I have to plan the menu and do some baking and there are some projects to finish.  Things are starting to come together.

Everyday Donna

Things to Remember:

Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat,
Won't you please put a penny in the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha'penny, God bless you.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment