Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas 2013 Living Room





 We started today by meeting friends for coffee on the other side of town.  I'm talking 30 minute drive from here.  In Evansville, you were always 10 minutes from anything.  We always have great conversations and it was so great to see them!  After we returned home, I cut out costumes for our grandsons that will be Christmas gifts.  Darth Vader and two cowboys.  Guess I know what I will do tomorrow.  It's gonna be me and the sewing machine spending some quality time together.  I mean, it is getting really close now.  Deadlines.  I've always got deadlines.

Today, I thought we would do a little Christmas, 2013, tour of the living room.  You have seen most of it in bits and pieces in other posts with a few tutorials thrown in.  Our living room is L shaped.  The area we use for the television is probably supposed to be a dining area, but we use the whole room for living space.  We just like it that way.

The big white star that hangs over the couch used to hang above our fireplace.  This is the first time in almost 30 years we have not had a fireplace, so I had to "break my mold" so to speak and use things in some different ways.  The white shutters that flank the star were a $5 purchase I made at the Habitat ReStore.  I have a thing for shutters.  Don't ask why.  I couldn't tell you.  I had them in my craft room for months, didn't know what I was going to do with them.  As I was falling asleep one night right after Thanksgiving, it dawned on me that they would be the perfect thing to hang next to the star to fill out that wall.  It had looked so blank to me, but I hadn't found anything I wanted to hang there.  TaDa!  Shutters.  Perfect.  For Christmas, I hung some of my rusty snowflakes that I have had for years and years on the long piece that moves the louvers.  Super easy and it meant no more holes in the walls.  Yay!

I have many small trees throughout the house.  We haven't had a big tree in years due to lack of space.  This is my white flocked tree that is done all in white, silver, and crystal.  It's hard to get a good picture of it, but it is my favorite.  It sparkles in the sunlight and at night is so beautiful with the tree lights on.
The entertainment center is decorated with lights and greenery and to the left sits my pencil tree with handmade ornaments on it.  The red goblets were a Dollar Tree purchase many years ago and I put tea lights in them.  I have never seen them in a Dollar Tree since.  I would really love to have some more.



The cabinet on the right holds our crystal and is decorated for the season.  The "Santa's belly" candles were made last year and you can find a tutorial on the blog.
There is also a tutorial to make the ornament wreath.  You can use the search to find it.
The sofa table is flanked by two chairs that we have had forever.  They are great for reading since the window is in between and they each have an ottoman of sorts for propping your feet up.
 This is a picture of me at age 4 sitting on Santa's Lap.  That was a LONG time ago, but it seems like yesterday.  This was taken at the Sears Department Store in Evansville, Indiana.  I had turned 4 a few weeks before.

Well, it's crunch time and there is much to do, so I better get busy.  Hope you enjoyed today's tour.  Check out the tutorials.  The Santa's Belly Candles are super cute and so inexpensive to make.  Hope you are coping with the season and are on the downhill slide.  I'm getting there.

Everyday Donna

Things to Remember:

Oh, you better watch out
You better not cry,
Better not pout, I'm tellin' you why
Santa Claus is coming to town.......







No comments:

Post a Comment